Club championships and season results 2021/22

18 QO seniors (joined by three guests from SARAUM and WSX) and eight juniors took part in this year’s club championships in Bridgwater, followed by a social and awards.

The juniors had a score course with SIAC (contactless) controls on The Meads and St. Matthews Field. Congratulations to Martha, Oliver and Finlay who came 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively in both elite and handicap scoring.

The seniors had a virtual MapRun score course in the same areas as the junior course, extending north into the town centre and south into Hamp. Each control was worth the same, but Jim had cleverly planned the course in such a way that no control was convenient and it was impossible to get all of them. Congratulations to the top 3: Mark, Richard and Paul.

Full handicapped results

Here are a few words from our new club champion:

Looking at the map (1:5000 A3) I knew from the start I was not going be able to get them all and that the route choice across the fields was critical.

Being a mass start I went off hard until I dropped or lost any ‘companions’ and then settled into making sure I didn’t make any mistakes and my route was optimum.

The map and course were excellent, forcing new decisions on control selection and route choice as I bounced from macro to the micro. The last 5 mins were really hard, my legs protesting as I climbed the slope back to the finish.

Ray, Sue, Richard, Simon and Gavin enjoying the sunshine

Afterwards, a social was held at the nearby Boat & Anchor Inn. After enjoying drinks in the sunshine and a buffet lunch, everyone gathered for the AGM and prize givings.

Andy receving Chairperson's award

To kick things off, Andy Rimes was awarded the Chairperson’s trophy for years of managing the SI system.

The AGM then followed (the minutes will be published soon) before the results and prizegiving.

Alasdair recognised everyone who has been awarded a BOF navigation challenge award (Al 2*, Freddie 2*, Finley 3*, Jacob S 3*, Alsadair 5*, Hamish 5*, Robin 5*) and racing challenge award (Freddie Bronze 2*, Jacob S Bronze 2*, Sebastian Silver 2*, Al Gold 2*, Alsadair Gold 5*, Hamish Gold 5*).

In the Tempo-O series, Alasdair Shaw competed in several events, with a best result of 24th overall (1st GBR), and Sarah Hasler competed one event coming 276th.

In OO Cup in Umea, Sweden - Rosie Wych was 8th overall in W65 (and 1st GBR), and Andy Rimes was 31st in M55 (and 4th GBR).

Ray & Sue Toomer were awarded the JOG 2021-22 Trophy for Services to Junior Orienteering.

In the Street Series - the short course was won by Rosie Wych, with Ray Toomer in 2nd and Brian Pearson in 3rd place. The long course was won by Chris Philip, with Adam Fieldhouse in 2nd and Ollie Rant in 3rd place. View full results

On the Quantock Challenge - the short course was won by Ian Mayhew, with Mark Saunders in 2nd and Iain Large in 3rd place. The long course was won by Robin, with Paul 2nd and Richard in 3rd place. View full results

Finally the Quantock Forest League (QOFL): Download full results

BLUE
Ben Chesters DEVON
Robin Fieldhouse QO
Ben Perry DEVON

GREEN
Ky Aizawa DEVON
Simon St Leger-Harris QO
Rachel Bussell QO

SHORT GREEN
Jill Green DEVON
Roger Craddock QO
David Harrison QO

LIGHT GREEN
Harriet Keenan DEVON
Lucy Bussell QO
Christine King BOK

ORANGE
Oliver Lewis QO
Lottie Jackson DEVON
Finlay Goddard QO

Oliver receiving his Orange QOFL trophy

YELLOW
Al Pascall QO
Sebastian Hemmings QO
Freddie Macpherson QO

Al receiving her Yellow QOFL trophy

WHITE
Max Landrigan BOK
Iris Landrigan BOK
Richard Morris BOK

Thank you to everyone who came to the Club Championships and the social afterwards, to Jim for planning the event, and to Roger and Judy for organising the venue.

A few words from @stodge, our new club champion:

It was great to see such a good turnout for the club championships in Bridgwater. I enjoyed the Bridgwater Urban earlier in the year and was looking forward to running there again.

I have recently invested in a watch upgrade (just to the most basic ‘app’ capable Garmin forerunner 55) which enables me to push the Maprun course onto the watch and then leave the phone in the car… The watch then buzzes on the wrist end beeps when you reach a control site. I think it’s more accurate than a phone in a pocket… Certainly less hassle.

Looking at the map (1:5000 A3) I knew from the start I was not going be able to get them all and that the route choice across the fields was critical.

Being a mass start I went off hard until I dropped or lost any ‘companions’ and then settled in to making sure I didn’t make any mistakes and my route was optimum.

I use a thumb compass with a magnifier and although the compass didn’t get used the magnifier definitely did!

The map and course were excellent, forcing new decisions on control selection and route choice as I bounced from macro to the micro. After my total overcooking (temperature as well as time) of the quantock challenge I decided to come in a bit early rather than grab an extra control and risk being late.

The last 5 mins were really hard, my legs protesting as I climbed the slope back to the finish.

Apologies for not being able to attend the AGM and social.

Time to start scratching my head about next year’s champs…

@stodge watching you only briefly pause at control sites before sprinting off again whilst I was standing around waiving my phone is one of the reasons I have now bought a Garmin Forerunner 55 (well that and having smashed my phone on a street series earlier in the year!)

An upper arm holder for the 'phone makes a big difference over a pocket. The key thing is to have as little of the sky blocked by your body as possible.
I only had to wait at two controls. One was for literally a second. The other did involve some moving around, but so were lots of others at the same time, possibly because we couldn’t tell which bit of the junction was where the control was.
Did the mass start countdown work on your watches?

As I was volunteering on the start with Ky in Devon on Saturday, I happened to be in the right place at the right time to ‘award’ him his trophy for winning Green QOFL. Congratulations Ky!

1 Like

Hamish has done a brilliant write-up of the event I have posted on a separate topic: Write ups from club champs

Another trophy awarded for 2021/22 QOFL Series.
Ben Chesters awarded his Blue Trophy on Dartmoor where he also won!
IMG_8083

Some more photos of awarded trophies:

Martha receiving the Junior Champion award.

IMG_8082

Ray & Sue Toomer receiving their Awards for contribution to JOG season 2021/22.

Iris Landrigan W12 BOK 2nd on QOFL White