Chris Hasler passed away on Wednesday 24th April

Chris Hasler's relay plan

Chris Hasler, a long time member of Quantock Orienteers and previous Club Captain passed away on Wednesday, 24th April.

Chris had been ill for several years, but was able to present awards at our last AGM despite being in a wheelchair. More details of funeral arrangements will be shared later, but if members wish to include any memories in an obituary with Sarah, Tom and Eleanor send them to Roger and Judy.

Please feel free to post below if you would like to share your memories of Chris with everyone:

I first met Chris at Bishop Henderson Primary School where he was running an orienteering maze as part of a sports fair. Thanks to Chris’ enthusiasm for orienteering, our kids loved it, and a few JOGs later we became club members. That summer, Chris encouraged me to take part in several relay races (my orienteering debut!) and I was hooked.

He was a lovely, friendly, welcoming and cheerful person and he will be missed. Thank you for the gift of orienteering Chris.

2 Likes

Cap’n Chris - Cheerful and full of enthusiasm!
He must have got stuck in very quickly after moving here, joining the committee, doing a variety of jobs and becoming a solid supporter of everything QO.
My best memories of Chris are from the summer relays. Before urban races came to dominate the summer we had a regional summer relay series and we had some good times touring the south west every weekend to take part in these obscure relays with weird and wonderful formats. Chris was fab company on these journeys - making for great days out. We were trying desparately to beat Wessex to the relay title, but I don’t think we ever achieved that elusive series win. But it was good fun trying.

3 Likes

Found 1 picture from 2015 which also features the much-missed Adrian. This was at WIM relay at Clayesmore. I don’t think Chris ran in those shoes.

3 Likes

As President and on behalf of Quantock Orienteers, I would like to express our condolences to Sarah, Thomas, and Eleanor at their loss.
Chris had been a part of our orienteering lives for many years since he recognised the value of the sport to himself and his family through JOG and QO. Their contribution and support has been immense and Chris’s service as a member of the Committee and as Club Captain was much appreciated. His sourcing of the current QOFL trophies - which have been much admired - was as unique as his scientific planning of QO relay tactics.
Judy and I have seen his physical condition deteriorate during this last year, but his wit, humour, and logic remained with him to the end. We will miss him.
IMG_1781

3 Likes

Chris was, quite simply a really lovely chap, who always said hello & gave you a smile. Condolances to his family. RIP Chris, you’ll be missed xx

2 Likes

Chris was the loveliest man and will be sorely missed by all Quantock members. I knew him since I started orienteering, he was always encouraging, cheerful and supportive as he waited to cheer us back in, even when I was out all day (showing his sense of humour). My condolences to Sarah, Tom and Eleanor.

3 Likes

I am so sad by this news. Chris was just a lovely man and such a friendly face on all events. His enthusiasm and encouragement to ‘get involved’ was infectious. I have such fond memories of our events together with our children enjoying all the QO experiences that the club offered. My thoughts are with Sarah, Tom and Eleonor.

1 Like

A celebration for the life of Chris will be held at Taunton Deane Crematorium on Wednesday 15th May 2024 at 12.00noon. Family flowers only please.

More details at https://chrishasler.muchloved.com/

We were so heartbroken by the news of Chris’s passing. He was so full of enthusiasm, and infectious energy and fun and warm and kind. Just an all around lovely chap. Ben was included in some great experiences because of Chris’s love for the sport. And our pre and post run chats were something to really look forward to. Our thoughts are with Sarah, Tom and Eleanor.