British Relay Championships - 26/03 - Results

QO had 4 teams taking part in this year’s British Relay Championships at Hambleden - one of the best areas in the south of England. The terrain is Classic Chiltern woodland, with undulating slopes covered in mature beech or mixed deciduous and conifer trees. Brashings and undergrowth are limited, so race times were fast.

A - Men’s Premier

QoVadis - Robin Fieldhouse, Oliver Rant @Mr_Rant , Adam Fieldhouse - a fantastic achievment finishing just outside the top 10 against some of the best orienteers in the country.

Pos Time Team Name
11th 115:08 QoVadis

E - M40

3AmiQOs - Phil Sorrell @daylightgambler , Jeff Pakes @Jeff.Pakes , Peter Shirvington @Pete - despite running up, a respectable 8th place. Thanks to Richard @RichardS for covering as reserve in case Phil’s ankle did not hold up during the race the day before.

Pos Time Team Name
8th 127:51 3AmiQOs

S - Mixed Ad Hoc

StatusQO - Andy Rimes @andyr , Steve Robertson @srober10, Hamish Braine-Clarke. A fresh head for Andy and a great last leg from Hamish put the team in 19th against tough competition.

QOTa - Rosie Wych @RosieW , Sheila Braine, Ailani Braine-Clarke. Despite a mix up with Shelia running Ailani’s short course leaving Ailani the longer and more technical course, the team put in a good performance to finish 32nd.

Pos Time Team Name
19th 101:48 StatusQO
32nd 129:13 QOTa

Thanks to Pete for organising the teams and Bee for expertly coordinating everyone on the day.

1 Like

Adam at M21E start BOC 2023 relay
Adam at M21E start BOC 2023 relay
Credit: Wendy Carlisle

Phil BOC 2023 relay
Phil BOC 2023 relay
Credit: Wendy Carlisle

Robin BOC 2023
Robin BOC 2023
Credit: Rob Lines

Steve BOC 2023
Steve BOC 2023

Andy R - BOC 2023
Andy R - BOC 2023

Adam BOC 2023 relay
Adam BOC 2023 relay

Ailani BOC 2023 relay finish
Ailani BOC 2023 relay finish
Credit: Phil Sorrell

BOC 2023 relay club tents
BOC 2023 relay club tents

BOC 2023 relay run in
BOC 2023 relay run in

Jeff BOC 2023 relay finish
Jeff BOC 2023 relay finish

Steve BOC 2023 relay finish
Steve BOC 2023 relay finish

Pete BOC 2023 relay finish
Pete BOC 2023 relay finish

1 Like

I loved the terrain! Very runnable and uncomplicated navigation.

I was on the first leg. The mass start was certainly an experience, and you definitely need a cool head to ignore everyone else around you (a good job as no one was running the same specific course as me it turns out!). The very fast start followed by a small steep hill to control 1 took a lot out of me and I made a poor route choice on my long leg to 3 which lost me time, but otherwise I got into a good rhythm.

The run in was huge with surprisingly uneven terrain with a hairpin bend at the end before the final sprint - I had hoped to overtake the BOK runner just ahead but the best I could do was stick just behind him to hand over to Jeff.

Thanks to Pete for organising everything :slight_smile:

2 Likes