BOK Clevedon Urban - SEOUL (27/06)

Today we headed the short distance up the motorway to take part in BOK’s contribution to the Southern England Orienteering Urban League (SEOUL).

The event was based at the Clevedon Marine Lake running through estates and parkland (with some nice coastal views at one point).

Al and Sebastian decided to walk/jog their Young Junior course (after an already tiring weekend). Al did the course unsupervised and, although taking it easy, had a clean run navigationally. Sebastian was shadowed by Sarah - he had a great start, although he ran past control 2 and needed a bit of help resetting. However, other than a few reminders to look at the map rather than guess, he had a good run - ultimately finishing ahead of his sister in 7th. The finish was next to a large playground - so they had plenty of fun whilst waiting for me to finish.

I am currently injured (I flipped on my bicycle - it turns out that I cannot still do wheelies in my forties) - so my running speed was reduced, but I still had a go at the Men’s - Veteran course. Other than overshooting the first control (so that is where Sebastian gets it from), I had a fairly clean, albeit slow, race. There are a few route choices I would change now I look at the map (I forget to keep it simple - I wasted a bit of time trying to cut through a commercial estate where it was unclear if cut-throughs existed rather than taking the less direct but ultimately quicker roads). Final result 17th out of 23.

All the results plus the courses on RouteGadget.

We have the Milton Keynes / Cambridge double weekend of the series in the calendar for September as it is near family.

After the run, we took advantage of free-swimming in the lake - surprising warm compared to the Tone. It also turns out QO club tops are surprisingly versatile as swim shirts!

Nice!
I had hoped to go, but had a stupid amount of work to do over the weekend.

It was a really good one for the young people, they loved the mixture of pavement, woodland and grassland. Hopefully you can do it next time Alasdair.